The Centers for Disease Control says that asthma accounts for 1.6 million visits to hospital emergency rooms in the United States annually. Overall, about eight percent of children suffer from asthma. To avoid trips to the hospital, missed school days and sporting events and decreased overall well-being, the pediatricians of Clearwater and Westchase Pediatric Care partner with parents of asthmatic youngsters to manage this sometimes difficult chronic respiratory condition. Your child can breathe better and live well with proper asthma care in Westchase and Clearwater, FL.
What are the symptoms of asthma?
Asthma involves inflammation of the airway from the trachea on down to the smallest of bronchioli and alveoli (air sacs) in the lungs. Triggered by stress, exercise, weather changes and/or allergens, an acute asthma attack can include:
- Wheezing from constricted airways
- Muscular spasms
- Shortness of breath
- Decreased blood oxygen levels as measured by pulse oximetry
- Persistent coughing, particularly at night
Your pediatrician considers asthma poorly controlled when children's normal activities become limited and if they are symptomatic more than twice a week.
Control is key
You can get great help for your child's asthma in Westchase and Clearwater, FL. Of utmost importance is identifying what brings on, or triggers, an asthma attack. Is it exercise, cold weather, the family pet or something else?
Next, your pediatrician will formulate an asthma action plan to include:
- Measuring and charting peak flow of expelled air with a Peak Flow Meter (typically, peak flow begins to drop as asthma symptoms increase)
- Use of prescription medications such as fast-acting inhalers and maintenance steroids to reduce inflammation
- Documentation of symptoms, triggers (including things your child is allergic to) and what relieves them
- When to call Clearwater and Westchase Pediatric Care
- When to go to the hospital emergency room
Are you concerned about childhood asthma?
You and your child can breathe easier when you seek help from your Westchase pediatrician. If you need immediate help for an asthma-related issue or need some additional counseling on asthma control, please contact Clearwater or Westchase Pediatric Care. Call (727) 461-1543 in Clearwater. In Westchase, phone (813) 818-1543.